1984-1988: B.S., University of Maine-Orono, Department of Biochemistry. Advisor: Dr. Susan Hunter. Research Thesis: Distribution of osteonectin in developing chicken embryos.
1988-1992: Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Biochemistry. Thesis Advisor: Dr. Bruce Selman. Thesis Title: Isolation and complementation of a Chlamydomonas reinhardtii mutant lacking the gamma subunit of chloroplast coupling factor one.
1992-1996: Assistant Instructor/Postdoctoral Associate. The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center-Dallas. Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience. Advisor: Dr. Richard G.W. Anderson.
1996-2000: Assistant Professor of Physiology. University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
2000-2003: Associate Professor of Physiology (Tenured). University of Kentucky College of Medicine. Department of Physiology.
2003-2004: Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Physiology, Pediatrics Vice-Chair of Research, Barnstable-Brown Endowed Chair for Diabetes Research. University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
2004-Present: Professor of Pediatrics and Physiology, Pediatrics Vice-Chair of Research, Barnstable-Brown Endowed Chair for Diabetes Research. University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
||43. Smart EJ, De Rose RA, Farber SA. (2004) Annexin 2-caveolin 1 complexes is a target of ezetimibe and regulates intestinal cholesterol transport. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 101(10): 3450-5.
44. Gentle Chikani, Weifei Zhu, and Eric J. Smart (2004) Lipids: potential regulators of nitric oxide generation. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 287: E386-E389
45. Weifei Zhu, William V. Everson and Eric J. Smart. (2004) Estrogen in Cardiovascular disease. Current Opinion in lipidology. 15: 589-593.
46. Hennig B, Reiterer G, Toborek M, Matveev SV, Daugherty A, Smart E, Robertson LW (2005) Dietary Fat Interacts with PCBs to Induce Changes in Lipid Metabolism in Mice Deficient in Low-Density Lipoprotein Receptor. Environmental Health Perspectives 113(1):83-7.
47. Li XA, Guo L, Dressman JL, Asmis R, Smart EJ. (2005) A novel ligand-independent apoptotic pathway induced by SR-BI and suppressed by eNOS and HDL. J Biol Chem. 280 (19): 19087-19096
48. William V. Everson and Eric J. Smart (2005) Caveolae and the Regulation of cellular Cholesterol Homeostasis. Advances in Molecular and Cell Biology Vol.36 Chapter 2: 37-55.
49. Xiang-An Li, William V. Everson, and Eric J. Smart (2005) Caveolae, Lipid Rafts and Vascular Disease. Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine 15 (3): 92-96.
50. Ming Cui Gong, Eric J. Smart, and Alan Daughtery (2005) COX-2 Up-Regulation and Vascular Smooth Muscle Contractile Hyperreactivity in Spontaneous Diabetic db/db Mice Corresponding. Cardiovascular Research 67: 723-735.
51. Zhu, W, Smart, EJ (2005) Myristic acid stimulates endothelial nitric oxide synthase in a CD36 and an AMP kinase-dependent manner. J Biol Chem. 280 (33): 29543-29550.
52. Gudrun Reiterer, Ruth MacDonald, Jim D. Browning, Jason Morrow, Sergey V. Matveev, Alan Daugherty, Eric Smart, Michal Toborek and Bernhard Hennig (2005) Zinc deficiency increases plasma lipids and atherosclerotic markers in LDL-R-deficient mice. The Journal of Nutrition (In Press)
53. Emily L. Bradshaw, Richard N. Greenberg, Theresa Guerin, Melinda E. Wilson, Xiang-An Li, Ling Guo, Eric J. Smart (2005) Didanosine Reduces HIV Protease Inhibitor-Induced Atherosclerotic Lesion Formation In LDL-Receptor Null Mice. (Submitted)
54. Nima M. Gharavi, Nancy Baker, Kevin P. Mouillesseauz, Wimmie Yeung, Henry Honda, Xavier Hsich, Michael Yeh, Eric J. Smart and Judith A. Berliner (2005) Role of Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase in the Regulation of SREBP Activation by Oxidized Phospholipids. (Submitted)