Guidance and Policies for Individuals Accessing Division of Laboratory Animal Resources Facilities
· Must be aware of potential issues concerning occupational health and safety
· Must obtain a Visitors Temporary Badge from main office, facilities operations manager or supervisor of the housing area.
· Must receive a copy of the Occupational Health and Safety Information and sign and return the signature page to DLAR prior to entering the animal facilities. If they will be accessing areas housing or containing non-human primates, they will need to have had a negative TB skin test and have a confirmed titer or vaccination for Rubeola (regular measles).
· Must be accompanied by responsible individual/sponsor at all times
· No photographs will be taken without (written) permission from a member of the DLAR senior/administrative staff (DLAR veterinarians, Facilities Operations Manager, Director, Associate/Assistant Director, Supervisors and Training Coordinator may give permission if directed by senior staff) If animals are to be filmed or photographed by outside individuals other than the investigator or his/her immediate staff, investigators they must first communicate this and coordinate with DLAR senior staff.
Vendors and Contractors
· Must complete Vendor Contractor training with DLAR training staff and receive Occupational Health and Safety Information and sign and return the signature page to DLAR prior to working in the animal facilities. If they will be accessing areas housing or containing non-human primates, they will need to have had a negative TB skin test and have a confirmed titer or vaccination for Rubeola (regular measles). They must, in addition to initial training, receive information and view presentation concerning working with or around non-human primates.
· Visiting vendors, contractors, or consultants must receive Occupational Health and Safety Information and sign and return the signature page prior to entering the animal facilities. They must obtain a Visitors Temporary Badge from DLAR staff. They must be accompanied at all times by a designated DLAR staff member or PPD representative. Photography in any DLAR facility area is by DLAR permission only.
· Individual vendors and contractors with UK ID badges must display a red DLAR sticker on their badges indicating they have completed necessary training presentations as outlined by DLAR prior to unaccompanied entry into the animal facilities.
· All security personnel stationed or accessing the DLAR animal facilities should receive training as required by the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources and given information on potential occupational health and safety prior to being assigned to the animal facilities.
UK Police Department
· Officers who may be accessing the DLAR animal facilities should be familiar with the occupational health and safety issues potentially present in the department. This information can be transmitted by presentation and written handouts and is available to all law enforcement officers. DLAR solicits participation and will make these resources available.