UK > Graduate School> Student Funding > Support Funding > Student Travel Funding
Student Travel Funding
Funds are available to doctoral graduate students for assistance with expenses relating to travel to present research at professional meetings only. Students pursing professional degrees are not eligible for Travel Awards. Travel funding is not provided for participation in or presentation at professional workshops, seminars, summer school, or tuition for coursework. Doctoral students past the Qualifying Examination take precedence in funding decisions over doctoral students still in coursework. The Graduate School Funding Office provides:
• up to $400 for doctoral students presenting research/abstract at a domestic conference in the contiguous USA.
• up to $800 for students presenting research/abstract at an international conference.
• up to $800 for students presenting research/abstract at a conference in Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico.
• up to a maximum of $4000 over the course of pursuing a doctoral degree. Students are not guaranteed this full amount.
• ONE conference award per fiscal year, conference dates August 1 to July 31 annually.
Payments and timing: Funds for student travel are pulled from the monthly budget which coincides with the travel deadlines, not the travel dates. Therefore, July travel is funded from the June 15th budget. The new budget year commences with the July 15th deadline for August travel. Also, students in the May, June, or July pools must be enrolled in either the second summer session or the subsequent fall semester. Summer awards are traditionally delayed until after the beginning of the fall term due to end of fiscal year and fall student account issues. The Graduate School reserves the right to adjust awards based on available funds such that they may be for an amount less than the maximum allowed.
Per Financial Aid & Student Account Services, direct deposit for refunds is now mandatory. This is not the same form required for direct deposit for payroll. To receive your travel award, please process the Direct Deposit for Refunds form at this link.
This funding may be considered taxable income. Taxable amounts are withheld from awards for international students. Recipients should keep adequate records to support any expenses that may be excludable when filing income tax forms. Students are required to keep a copy of their application documents for their own files. Be prepared to provide receipts for all expenses upon request by the Graduate School.
Awarded funds: Travel funding decisions are final, and awards are not automatic.
- are made directly to the student, not to the department or to cover UK Procard charges.
- are a reimbursment and are applied directly to the student account during the month of travel. Any balance due will delay receipt of student support payment until the balance is paid. Refund checks are no longer processed.
- will not be disbursed for international travel or travel to U.S. territories until the student has registered their trip in the university's international travel registry.
Deadline: The 15th of each month prior to the month of travel (or the next business day if the office is closed).
- Attach to the application proof from the conference that you are presenting (email, the page from the conference program listing your name, etc.). Please do not attach entire program or agenda.
No funding will be considered for:
- students in professional programs.
- students pursuing a certificate (unless concurrently pursuing a PhD).
- students in post-baccalaureate or post-doctoral status.
- students in master's programs.
- late applications.
- incomplete applications.
- students not enrolled in coursework.
- students who have graduated.
BEFORE PROCEEDING TO THE APPLICATION LINK, PLEASE REVIEW THE ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION ABOVE. Ineligible applications will elicit an error message and will be rejected. Eligible applications will elicit a "successful submission" notice.
This link works best with Internet Explorer.
Applications to fund international travel cannot be considered until the student has registered their travel with the International Health, Safety & Security office.
Please review the full policy regarding international travel here.
Student Travel Funding Application Link
Reminder: Students pursing professional degrees are not eligible for Travel Awards.
If a student is unable to attend the conference for which travel funding was granted, the student agrees to return the awarded amount to Student Account Services and notify the Student Travel Funding Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, contact the Student Travel Funding Officer at email@example.com, or call 257-9684.
Getting the Most Out of a Research Conference
UK Credit Union Loan Program for Travel Support