For more info
University Research Postdoctoral Fellowship
Funds are available through the Office of the Vice President for Research for postdoctoral fellowships that support the University of Kentucky’s compelling interest in diversity. The University Research Postdoctoral Fellowship is open to all qualified individuals with consideration given to women interested in pursuing a program of advanced research training in fields in which they are underrepresented including, but not limited to, engineering, life sciences and physical sciences.
Application deadline is November 1, 2012.
Fellowship recipients pursue an individualized research program under the mentorship of one or more UK professors and actively participate in departmental and professional research related activities. Fellows play a lead role in designing, developing and implementing research programs that contribute to a department's overall graduate education and research mandates.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Applicants must have completed the doctoral degree within the past two years or will complete the doctoral degree before the date of appointment. Preference will be given to applicants who do not have a prior or present postdoctoral appointment at UK. Applicants who received their PhD at UK must be affiliated with a research group other than the one in which they did their prior research. The goal is to broaden the research experience and training for the fellowship recipient.
Selection criteria include:
- Evidence of scholarship with competitive potential for a tenure-track faculty appointment at a research university
- Compatibility of specific research interests with those present in doctorate-granting units at UK
- Quality of the fellowship proposal
- Strong support from mentor and references
- Would the appointment contribute to increasing the diversity within the research or professional area
The fellowship provides a $35,000 stipend plus benefits. In addition, the fellow receives $5,000 for support of research activities. Fellowships are available for up to two years. The initial appointment is for 12 months, but recipients may apply for a second year.
Application dossier should contain:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Sample publications or dissertation chapters
- An original research proposal written independently by the applicant (1,500 words or less, in addition to figures, schemas and references)
- Three letters of recommendation (sent directly to email@example.com from reference, reference may list applicant name in subject line).
- A letter from the potential UK mentor outlining the general research program
- A letter from the potential UK departmental chair indicating endorsement and appropriate departmental resources such as space and computer support
Completed applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2012. Indicate program name on subject line.