For more info
The programs listed in the UK Faculty Research Support Guide are available to full-time faculty members — regular, special, research or clinical title series and to senior research staff who are eligible to serve as a PI on external grants.
All requests for internal support require the approval of and electronic submission through the college administration and department chair or center & institute director.
Requests and proposals are to be submitted to VPR Grants. Indicate PI's name and program name in subject line.
For questions contact:
Craig R. Rush, PhD Associate Vice President for Research
311 Main Building, 0032
257-5294; fax: 323-2800
Administrative Staff Officer, Office of the Vice President for Research
311 Main Building, 0032
257-5090, fax: 323-2800
Bridge Funding (updated 2012)
The purpose of bridge funding is to sustain the research programs of productive researchers through the difficult period of a funding gap to give the investigator an opportunity to regain extramural funding. We will consider bridge requests when an investigator’s funded project has not been renewed and temporary support is required to retain key personnel and to maintain project momentum. Bridge funds are not intended to support new projects – the Research Support Grant program (http://www.research.uky.edu/vpresearch/guide/rsupportgrants.html) is the appropriate avenue for pilot projects.
- A cover page, explaining the nature of the request.
- The original (or most recently reviewed) application and the critiques of all recent submissions.
- A brief (two pages) explanation of how a resubmission responded or will respond to the critiques to improve the chances of being funded.
- A detailed timeline of when a grant was or will be submitted and when a decision is expected. A grant must either be submitted or there must be a clear plan to have one submitted in time for a funding decision before bridge funds expire.
- A proposed budget for bridge funds, indicating funds requested from Research and other sources. Matching funds from the department and/or college are required.
- Letters providing critical input from the department chair or center director and associate dean for research.
This program supports the following expenses:
- research supplies
- salary for research technical personnel
- minor research equipment (<$5,000)
- travel to research sites, such as field sites or museums
The program will not support:
- faculty salaries
- graduate tuition or fees
- travel to meetings
- consultant costs
- equipment over $5,000
- office equipment or computers
Reviews will be conducted primarily within the Office of the Vice President for Research rather than by committee. Ad hoc consultations and consultation with the Associate Deans for Research are often part of this process.
Details of the funding will generally be specified in the award. Generally, funding will be for one year or less or until external funding is obtained, whichever comes first. Funds may not be carried beyond that time, nor used to support other activities.