Deadline: January 20, 2019
The Program Director will coordinate all C3 University Core programs across the state partnered universities, including oversight of C3 University Core team members, projects, budget, and reporting. Responsibilities will be overall management of C3 University Core services and initiatives, including marketing, education, outreach and coordination of engagement across university participants and their stakeholders, as well as process management and ultimate decision-making related to invention market assessment, patent filing and prosecution, technology marketing and licensing negotiations, new venture creation, and other inventor participation in C3 programs. In at least Year 1, the C3 University Core Program Director will be mainly focused on commercialization culture building and faculty and student education and program development, with direct oversight and reporting responsibility only for a C3 Commercialization Culture Manager and C3 Fellows. Thereafter, to be reviewed periodically based upon the timing of pipeline development substantiating need, direct oversight and reporting responsibility is expected to additionally include the C3 Intellectual Property Development Manager and C3 Licensing & New Ventures Manager (who may at that time physically co-locate with the Program Director following their Professional-in-Residence training period).
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Develop and foster ongoing and mutually beneficial relationships with relevant stakeholders at participating KY universities in order to design, build, implement, promote, and manage the University Core component of the C3 suite of services to those institutions faculty, staff and students, as applicable.
• Develop, execute and oversee commercialization education and culture building initiatives and programs, offered to participating KY university partner on a regular basis.
• Ensure effective review, development, and implementation of policies and procedures at participating KY universities to incentivize inventor participation in. and effectively build a pipeline for supporting university commercialization activities.
• Develop well-known and efficient pathways to connect C3 University Core clients (faculty, staff, and students at KY participating universities) to C3 University Core services and programs.
• Ensure effective and efficient practices and mechanisms for receipt, evaluation, and protection of intellectual property from inventions at participating KY universities, and for engaging industry partners for license execution or other technology transfer partnerships.
• Ensure effective and efficient processes and mechanisms from best practices to create start-up ventures spinning out of participating KY universities
• Monitor ongoing C3 relationships to ensure successful commercialization outcomes.
• Represent C3 at networking, educational, and other events in the Kentucky legal and entrepreneurial ecosystems.
• Assist C3 leadership in other ways deemed central to the overall development and ongoing success of C3 operations.
Due to the statewide nature of the job, working locations will vary as needs dictate. In general, the position will require travel to Lexington approximately 2-3 days/week to work from an HQ C3 office, and regular travel to stakeholder locations, including Frankfort and university locations in Lexington, Louisville, Bowling Green, Covington, Morehead, and Murray.