Deadline: January 20, 2019
The C3 IP Development Director will be hired to manage the invention disclosure, invention market assessment, patent protection and IP management components of C3 for KY Non-TTO Institutions. The role will coordinate with all outside patent counsel related to patent filings and prosecution and will oversee all inventor’s meetings related to patenting questions, preparation for invention disclosure, market assessment feedback and patenting strategies. This position will be responsible for shepherding and making all patenting decisions, in coordination with the participating inventor, relevant university officials, and Program Director, pursuant to C3 standard operating procedures. TheC3 IP Development Director will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the C3 IP portfolio, it's maintenance and docketing on behalf of the participating KY universities. The role will support the C3 Program Director and C3 Commercialization Culture Manager in conducting education for faculty and students at participating institutions related to innovation, invention disclosure and IP protection. In at least year 1, the C3 IP Development Director will be physically located in the UK Office of Technology Commercialization (UK OTC), for training and resource sharing purposes, and will report to the Director, UK OTC. Eventually, once the C3 pipeline is substantiated, it is expected that the Intellectual Properties Devel Dir Assoc will by physically co-located with the C3 Program Director and report to the Program Director.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• In consultation with Program Director, manage an efficient and transparent invention disclosure submission and review process utilizing advisory input from the applicable university leadership, documented research review, other scientific advisory inputs, if available, and market research inputs.
• Based on inputs described, make and report sound patent/no-patent decisions within 60 days of submission. Coordinate with applicable university policy and manage the patent prosecution process through provisional patent application drafting and filing, or coordination with external attorneys, including overseeing the development of and managing an organized and transparent IP development process.
• Develop and oversee management of functional C3 IP docket/database using invention management system for quick research supporting progress updates and licensing activities.
• Use data to develop and propose forecasted plans/strategies for patent filing and maintenance, and make patent maintenance decisions in coordination with the OTC and Program Director to optimize resources and value. Administer database/docket and patent accounts, and other relevant duties deemed necessary in support of this Responsibility. Coordinate with universities pursuant to their policy and Master partnership agreement, for decision-making and reimbursements.
• Coordinate and communicate with Commercialization Culture and Licensing & New Ventures Managers regarding patent docket and prosecution data to support commercialization efforts.
• Collaborate with Commercialization Culture Manager to support education, events and C3 marketing related IP development.
• Collaborate with Licensing & NV Manager to support development of commercialization marketing plans and support licensing and startup development. Coordinate with and support university officials to effectuate proper compliance with federal regulations, university policies, and agreements with third parties.
• Travel to participating KY university partner campuses regularly to conduct inventor meetings, and work closely with participating university faculty, staff and students to identify and disclose commercially viable and patentable ideas and inventions.
• Represent C3 at networking, educational, and other events in the Kentucky commercialization and entrepreneurial ecosystems.
• Assist C3 leadership in other ways deemed central to the overall development and ongoing success of C3 operations.
Due to the statewide nature of the job, working locations will vary as needs dictate. In general, the position will require travel to Lexington approximately 2-3 days/week to work from an HQ C3 office, and regular travel to stakeholder locations, including Frankfort and university locations in Lexington, Louisville, Bowling Green, Richmond, Covington, Morehead, and Murray.