Working with DLAR
Welcome to DLAR.......
Room 204 ......... Health Sciences Research Building (HSRB).... 40536-0298
Main Phone line: 859-323-5885 ......... Fax Number: 859-323-6002
PHS assurance number A3336-01 ......... USDA number 61-R-0002 .
AAALAC, Intl. Unit # 13 Most recent Accreditation date: 19 Mar 2015
The Division of Laboratory Animal Resources (DLAR) supports the biomedical research community at the University of Kentucky by providing the highest quality veterinary services and humane care and treatment to the animals in our care. We strive to assist in the continued advancement of scientific knowledge for the benefit of mankind and abide by the ethical principles of humane animal care and good science in accordance with all regulatory agencies. We serve as a resource for knowledge and technical expertise and provide an atmosphere of mutual respect and cooperation with our researchers. DLAR has been continuously accredited since April, 1966 by the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation for Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC, International).
Available for download: The DLAR Investigator Information Handbook
- Our Occupational Health and Safety for Individuals With Laboratory Animal Contact course has moved to the myUK website See our Training Page for more information!
- The full PDF version of The 8th edition of the Guide to the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals please take some time to view this important publication.
- Information for filling out VAS section of NIH grants: DLAR and Veterinary Care Description and the New NIH VAS fact sheet to assist in submission
- Apply for or renew your DEA Registration online.
- Mouse Breeding Colony Management Seminar offered to Research staff! Contact our
DLAR Training Coordinator to make arrangements for this seminar for group or individual sessions
- Principles of Aseptic Surgery Techniques To register, contact our Veterinary Health Staff
- Our monthly training session on Use of Rodent Anesthesia Machines
To register, contact our Research Analyst
- DLAR offers several other workshops and seminars, including Injection Techniques for Mice and Rats, and Post-Surgical Monitoring. To see our list of available offers on our Training page
- ALL workshops and seminars offered by DLAR are now eligible to fulfill IACUC Continuing Education Credit requirementsTo view our PowerPoint presentations for the workshops, go to our Training Page
- Charles River Laboratories is offering a FREE Video Article on JoVE entitled - Principles of Rodent Surgery for the New Surgeon
For more information on animal care and use, see Research Compliance Policies, Guidance & Contacts.
Nature introduces editorial measures to improve consistency and quality of reporting in life-sciences articles.
Central to this initiative is a checklist intended to prompt authors to disclose technical and statistical information in their submissions, and to encourage referees to consider aspects important for research reproducibility. The checklist includes information to be provided for animal studies and recommends consulting the ARRIVE guidelines.