Research Support Guide

For more info

Back to Research Support Guide Contents

Questions about the Research Enrichment Program can be addressed to Jack Supplee, Associate Vice President for Research (

Research Enrichment Program

The purpose of the Research Enrichment Program (REP) is to stimulate new research and support existing research and scholarly activities within the units (departments, centers, and institutes), thus supporting the university's strategic objective of facilitating interdisciplinary research and collaborative scholarship. The REP is supported via an equitable distribution (return) of facilities and administrative (F&A) realized income to the participating units.

Under the REP, the distribution of F&A income to departments, centers and institutes is determined as follows:

  1. A department, center or institute will receive an allocation equal to 10% of the actual F&A income realized on those awards for which it is the sole unit listed in Item #8 on the Electronic Internal Approval Form (eIAF).
  2. In the case of collaborative projects involving two or more units, the participating departments, centers and/or institutes will share an allocation equal to 16% of the actual F&A income realized on those awards.

To be eligible for a share of this larger F&A allocation, a unit must contribute substantive resources to the project and it must be listed on the IAF at the time the proposal is submitted to the sponsor. Co-investigators must have committed effort on the project. Simply listing someone as an “internal consultant” will not count. See Enrichment Policy Recommendations section What Makes a Unit Eligible for Enrichment.

REP funds will be awarded to units according to the percentage distribution indicated in Item #8 on the eIAF. See Enrichment Policy Recommendations section How Enrichment Splits Should be Calculated.

The chair/director has discretion in how these funds are used. REP funds should be used to enhance the research capabilities of the faculty and staff in the unit and/or to support unit graduate student activities. They may be used for mandatory cost-sharing for extramural grant applications. 

Appropriate uses include:

  1. faculty research support (start-up, retention, bridge funding, etc.)
  2. graduate student support
  3. research equipment (purchase, upgrades, maintenance, etc.)
  4. research seminars, symposia, workshops
  5. domestic and foreign travel related to research
  6. research staff support
  7. research supplies (including research-related office supplies)

Inappropriate uses include:

  1. faculty salary and salary supplements (overloads)
  2. purely instructional activities
  3. Teaching Assistant (TA) salaries