Pivot Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
PivotTM is a comprehensive database of funding opportunities and collaborators across all disciplines. All faculty, staff, and students at the University of Kentucky have free access to this resource.
Create a Pivot Profile
We recommend that you first create a Pivot profile, as this will allow you to receive weekly email alerts of any updates or new opportunities that are added to your saved search queries (see Save a Search Query). You will also be able to share your search queries with colleagues and access Pivot from an off-campus computer. In addition, other investigators with Pivot profiles can identify you as a potential collaborator.
To create a profile,
- Go to Pivot’s main funding page and click Sign up in the top right-hand corner.
- In the window that appears, fill in the required fields. For the Institutional Email field, be sure to enter your UK email address.
- After filling in the required fields, click Create my account.
- You will receive a confirmation email from Pivot. Open this email and click on the verification link.
- You will also need to claim your profile. The details for completing this process can be found here.
Access Pivot and Conduct a Search Query
To access Pivot, go to Pivot’s login page, click Login in the top right-hand corner, and enter your username and password.
To conduct a search query,
- Click the Funding tab in the top left-hand corner.
- Use either the Basic Search function (selected by default) or the Advanced Search function:
Basic Search – Enter your keywords in the search textbox. Use quotation marks and Boolean operators such as AND and OR when entering multi-word terms. To search for opportunities from a specific sponsor, click Search by sponsor above the search textbox. Then enter the sponsor name. To narrow or widen your search, click All sponsors, U.S. Federal, or Non-U.S. Federal underneath the search textbox.
Advanced Search – Click Advanced Search below the search textbox. On the page that appears, add keywords and additional parameters—such as Amount and Sponsor Type.
Refine a Search Query
After viewing the results of your query, you can refine it (i.e., change keywords, add/subtract search parameters) to get more or fewer results. To do this,
- Click Refine Search toward the top of your results page.
- This link returns to the search page displaying the initial criteria selected. From here, change any keywords and parameters. Then, click Search to launch your refined search.
Save a Search Query
You can save your search query so that you do not have to remember the combination of keywords and parameters that you selected. Note: This function is available only if you are signed into your account.
- On the page that displays your search results, click Save Search toward the top.
- A Save your search window will appear, prompting you to name the search query and to select whether you want to receive a weekly email alert containing updates to the search.
- After responding to these two items, click Save.
Retrieve a Saved Search Query
To retrieve a saved search query for possible updates, sign into your account. Then,
- Click the “Home” icon that appears in the top left-hand corner of your page.
- Click Saved Searches from among the links displayed in the left-hand column.
- A list of your saved search queries will appear. Select the desired search query to rerun it for updates.
Share the Results of a Saved Search Query
To share the results of a saved search with colleagues, sign into your account. Then,
- Click the Home icon that appears in the top left-hand corner of your page.
- Click Saved Searches in the left-hand column.
- A list of your saved searches will display. Click Options, which appears to the right of the search query you want to share.
- A dropdown menu will appear from the Options link; choose Share from this menu.
- A “Share” window will appear, prompting you to provide the email address(es) of the recipient(s) with whom you want to share the search query. You can also include a brief message.
- Click Send.
Search for Collaborators
To search for collaborators,
- Go to Pivot’s main funding page and click the Profiles tab in the top left-hand corner.
- This takes you to a page to search for collaborators by name or by college/department.
- To conduct a more detailed search, click Advanced Search underneath the search textbox. On the Profile Advanced Search screen, type your keywords in the Enter search terms box and select any of the other parameters.