2022-2023 University Research Professors
2022-2023 University Research Professors Reception
President Eli Capilouto and Vice President for Research Lisa Cassis recognized the 2022-2023 University Research Professors in an August 25 reception. Fourteen professors were honored during the ceremony, which was held at the Gatton Student Center. Click the photos above to see the awardees and see the full ceremony video here (with linkblue id).
Photos by Jeremy Blackburn in Research Communications. To request high-resolution versions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2022-2023 University Research Professors Board of Trustees Recognition
The University of Kentucky Board of Trustees has approved 14 University Research Professorships for the 2022-23 academic year. Established by the Board of Trustees in 1976, the professorships program recognizes excellence across the full spectrum of research, scholarship and creative endeavors at UK.
“It is truly gratifying to recognize these distinguished experts who have made significant contributions across the breadth of research fields at the University of Kentucky,” said Lisa Cassis, UK’s vice president for research. “The 2022-2023 University Research Professorship Awards honor 14 faculty members who have demonstrated excellence that addresses scientific, social, cultural and economic challenges in our region and around the world.”
College leadership developed criteria for excellence within their area of expertise, and then nominated faculty who excelled at these criteria. Each University Research Professor receives a one-year award of $10,000 to be used to further their research, scholarship and creative endeavors.
Photos by UK Photo
2022-2023 University Research Professors
- Merlin Lindemann: Animal and Food Sciences; College of Agriculture, Food and Environment
- Theodore Schatzki: Geography; College of Arts and Sciences
- Carrie Oser: Sociology; College of Arts and Sciences
- Bobi Ivanov: Integrated Strategic Communication; College of Communication and Information
- Lindsey Fay: Interiors; College of Design
- Susan Chambers Cantrell: Curriculum and Instruction; College of Education
- Alexandre Martin: Mechanical Engineering; College of Engineering
- Yuha Jung: Arts Administration; College of Fine Arts
- Kristine W. Hankins: Finance and Quantitative Methods; Gatton College of Business and Economics
- Judith L. Page: Communication Sciences and Disorders; College of Health Sciences
- Nancy Schoenberg: Behavioral Science; College of Medicine
- Peter Nelson: Sanders-Brown Center on Aging; College of Medicine
- Daniela C. Moga: Pharmacy Practice and Science; College of Pharmacy
- David W. Fardo: Biostatistics; College of Public Health
About the Program
The University Research Professorships were established by the UK Board of Trustees in 1976 to recognize outstanding research achievements.
The University of Kentucky Strategic Plan (2015 – 2020) for Research has an overall objective to expand our scholarship, creative endeavors and research across the full range of disciplines to focus on the most important challenges of the Commonwealth. Strategic Initiatives to achieve this overall objective include investing and recognizing areas of scholarly excellence, and recruiting and retaining outstanding faculty, staff and students.
The University Research Professors Program recognizes excellence across the full spectrum of research, scholarship and creative endeavors at the University of Kentucky.
- Colleges with less than 275 tenure-track faculty may nominate one University Research Professor per year; colleges with more than 275 tenure-track faculty (currently Arts and Sciences and Medicine) may nominate two per year.
- Each college will establish (1) a process for soliciting and choosing nominations, and (2) criteria for excellence in research, scholarship and creative endeavors. College-specific criteria will be reviewed by and kept on file within the Offices of Research. As a minimum criteria, the nominee must have at least 30% effort in Research activities on their DOE and be performing well above benchmarks in their research, scholarship and creative activities.
- The award amount will be $10,000 for one year, to be used to further the research, scholarship and creative endeavors of the awardee. A faculty member may only be recognized once; those who have been named a University Research Professor under the previous program are not eligible. Faculty receiving this award may use the title “University Research Professor” for as long as they remain faculty at the University of Kentucky.
- Nominee(s) packets submitted to the Office of Research should contain a full updated CV and a nomination letter from either the Associate Dean for Research or a Department Chair summarizing how the qualifications of the nominee meet the college-specific criteria for excellence.
- The Office of Research reserves the right for final approval of nominees. It is likely, depending on the number of faculty within a unit and other factors, that some Colleges may not have a nominee who meets the criteria for excellence within a given year.
A reception honoring award recipients will take place annually. In addition, awardees will be announced at an annual Board of Trustees meeting. Finally, awardees may be given the opportunity to present a short description of their research, scholarship and creative endeavors to the BOT once over the course of the award year, as well as through other vehicles intended to highlight their research accomplishments.
Contact individual college dean's office for college-level-specific program details.
Conditions of Appointment
- The appointee must not be on leave status for the year of the award.
- It is expected that the Research Professor will contribute to the research atmosphere on the University campus.
- It is expected that part of the major research activity will be conducted at the University.
- The awardee must agree to remain at the University for the year following the award.