What We Do
The Office of the Vice President for Research continues the University of Kentucky commitment of the past 150 years to pursue interdisciplinary research and creative efforts that address challenges and disparities faced by our citizens and enrich their lives. To facilitate research, the Office of the Vice President for Research provides programs and services to support UK faculty, staff and students in grant development and submission, compliance and regulatory affairs, development of intellectual property and in highlighting their research achievements. This includes oversight and guidance of 12 multidisciplinary research centers and 6 service core facilities.
By the Numbers
grant & contract awards in FY21
federal agency awards in FY21
1 of 29 U.S. universities
with the trifecta of research designations in cancer, aging & translational science
Units that report to the OVPR
Research Support Units
- Administrative and Fiscal Affairs, Judy Duncan
- Federal Relations, Eric King
- Good Research Practice Resource Center, Greg Gerhardt and Richard Grondin
- Office of the Attending Veterinarian, Mark Suckow
- Office of Research Integrity (ORI), Helene Lake-Bullock
- Office of Sponsored Projects Administration (OSPA), Kim Carter
- Office of Technology Commercialization, Ian McClure
- Proposal Development Office (PDO), Kathleen Grzech
- Research Communications, Alicia Gregory
- Research Information Services, Billy Clark
Centers & Institutes
The following research centers and institutes are under the organizational structure of the Vice President for Research. They are non-degree granting and multidisciplinary in scope.
- Center for Applied Energy Research (CAER)
- Center for Clinical & Translational Science (CCTS)
- Center for Computational Sciences
- Center for Health Services Research
- Center for Research on Violence Against Women (CRVAW)
- Center for Structural Biology
- Center of Membrane Sciences
- Human Development Institute (HDI)
- Kentucky Geological Survey (KGS)
- Kentucky Water Resources Research Institute (KWRRI)
- Markey Cancer Center
- Tracy Farmer Institute for Sustainability & the Environment (ISE)
The Office of the Vice President for Research oversees the following shared-use facilities.
Office of the Vice President for Research
Rodney Andrews, Ph.D.
Senior Associate Vice President for Research Development
Linda Dwoskin, Ph.D.
Senior Associate Vice President for Research, Special Projects
Alan Daugherty, Ph.D.
Associate Vice President for Research Core Facilities
Mark Suckow, DVM
Associate Vice President for Research, Attending Veterinarian
Allan Butterfield, Ph.D.
Associate Vice President for Centers and Institutes
Nancy Schoenberg, Ph.D.
Associate Vice President for Research, Health Disparities
Associate Vice President for Research Executive Director, Office of Sponsored Projects Administration
Associate Vice President for Research, Innovation and Economic Impact
Associate Vice President for Research, Clinical and Translational Research
Danelle Stevens-Watkins, Ph.D.
Associate Vice President for Research, Diversity & Inclusion
Associate Vice President for Research
Assistant Vice President for Research, Fiscal Affairs
Assistant Vice President for Research, Research Integrity
Associate Vice President for Research for Clinical Strategic Development and Oncology Research
Assistant Vice President for Research for Federal Relations and Institutional Research Priorities
Assistant Vice President for Programmatic Grant Development