UK OTC-Space Tango Microgravity Research Program
The UK Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC) and Space Tango have formed a unique partnership to foster basic and applied research in the
microgravity environment of space, for application on Earth. A focus of the partnership will be primarily in the areas of biotechnology and/or biomedicine that encompasses research and development for medical solutions. These applications include, but are not limited to biomedical, chemical, agricultural, engineering and other related fields. Resultant biotechnologies and biomedicines from these applications could be in, for example, neurodegenerative areas, cancer, regenerative medicine, cystic fibrosis, autoimmune disorders, drug design, and bioengineering.
Approved projects having mutual interest from both a UK PI and Space Tango will be given an opportunity to conduct research and testing on the International Space Station in a microgravity environment. Space Tango streamlines and simplifies the unique environment that microgravity offers to design, build, and operate integrated systems that facilitate microgravity R&D and manufacturing focused for application on Earth. Space Tango allows users to focus on their work while managing the complexities of traveling to and operating in microgravity. Space Tango is committed to the standardization of processes to provide a seamless experience. Space Tango is developing an entire pipeline of products to increase the variety, volume, and ease of using this new frontier. Space Tango strives to diversify the use of microgravity as they invite industries of any kind to reach beyond in hope of improving life on Earth. For more information, visit www.spacetango.com.
By working together, the UK OTC and Space Tango seek to maximize commercial pathways for UK inventors and promote the development and commercialization of technologies to benefit the public, especially as they relate to the improvement of the economy of the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the United States.
Space Tango enables research and development, bioengineering and manufacturing in microgravity with the mission to create significant new industries to improve the lives of people on Earth. Examples of Space Tango-facilitated research projects on the International Space Station can be found here.
Who Can Participate?
UK Faculty who would benefit from doing research in a microgravity environment.
- Mutual interest from a UK PI and Space Tango (contact the UK OTC for an introduction to Space Tango, if interested)
- Submit a completed Cooperative Technology Project Initiation Form (pdf, 2pgs) to email@example.com
- Commit to completing the program requirements in accordance with a to-be-negotiated Project Agreement between UK OTC and Space Tango
- Upon receipt of a completed and signed Cooperative Technology Project Initiation Form by the UK OTC, an initial interview will be conducted with the UK OTC and Space Tango to develop a customized project plan
- Conduct research and testing in accordance with the project plan and the to-be-executed Project Agreement
- Meetings with Space Tango regarding the Phase I plan
- Phase I experimentation on the International Space Station or other microgravity platforms
- Meetings with Space Tango regarding the Phase II plan (if it is agreed Phase II should be pursued)
- Upon completion of the project, meet with UK OTC to discuss results and help determine a commercialization pathway
What Are the Program Benefits and Expected Outcomes?
- Proof of concept and development can be realized by researchers for inventions that otherwise may not get past conception, increasing the chances for commercialization of these discoveries.
- An opportunity to enhance research through Space Tango’s expertise in microgravity experimentation in space and their potential access to the International Space Station or other microgravity platforms.
- Learn new research tools and methods.
- Support the University’s mission to discover practical uses for theoretical knowledge and to speed the dissemination of information to the public.
- Potentially create intellectual property with commercialization potential from the research.
How to Apply
Submit a completed and signed Cooperative Technology Project Initiation Form to the UK OTC. Cooperative Technology Project Initiation Forms can be submitted at any time. They will be reviewed as they are received.
Submit a completed Cooperative Technology Project Initiation Form (pdf, 2pgs) to firstname.lastname@example.org.