Conference and Workshop Grants
In an effort to encourage the University of Kentucky as a possible site for regional, national or international professional organizations' conferences and workshops, faculty may submit a brief proposal for partial support (maximum of $4,000) of such conferences. Proposals should indicate why supporting the workshop will enhance the university's visibility, competitiveness for future funding, or status.
- the nature of the conference or workshop (dates, venue, speakers, audience including recent or anticipated attendance)
- fiscal year for which the funding would be necessary
- detailed budget including costs and income which may be collected from prospective participants
- financial support that will be coming from departments, colleges or other sources.
Research will support costs for:
- Travel and honoraria for outside speakers
- Symposium expenses such as room rental, audiovisual services
Research cannot support costs for:
- Social events associated with the symposium
- Purchases requiring payment from a discretionary account
- In order to assure that approval has been obtained from the department chair/school director and college administration or center/institute director, investigators are to email their completed application to their department chair/school director or center/institute director, with their last name and “Conference and Workshop Grant” in the subject line.
- The department chair/school director will forward it to the college’s associate dean for research (ADR).
- The ADR or center/institute director will submit the proposal to the funding portal: https://ris.uky.edu/pdo/FundingPortal/Competitions/Details?id=1269.
- In order to provide the Vice President for Research and the review committee with additional information on which to base a funding decision, department chairs/school directors, center/institute directors and college deans or ADRs are invited to provide comments on the importance of the conference activity and how it fits with their department, school, center, institute or college strategic plan.
Due to budget constraints for this program, we anticipate not being able to fund all requests. Thus, for full consideration, all requests for the current fiscal year are due by December 1, 2023. We will only consider requests after this date if there are unspent funds for this program.