Human Subject Protection (HSP) Training FAQs
UK CITI Access
**This course does not replace the training modules in the UK Resumption of Research Phased Plan; Available until October 1, 2020
- Initial IRB Training Requirement: Who, What, When
- Initial CITI HSP Training for IRB Approval
- Three Year Refresher HSP Training
- New Study Personnel and Continuation Review
- Non UK or Community Based Study Personnel
Other Training FAQs
- Classroom Assignment: Human Subject Course
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Humanitarian Use Device (HUD) Training
- *NEW* Revised Common Rule Course
- Additional Optional Courses of Interest
Important Reminders for CITI users:
- Do not call it “CITI Training”.
- The UK CITI curriculum contains a number of training categories and types of training. If asked to complete training on CITI, be sure to confirm which course by name. Faculty who require courses as part of a class assignment should indicate the desired course by name (e.g., Human Subject Protection, Responsible Conduct in Research). See the available courses FAQ for partial list of courses on the UK CITI curriculum.
- Only HSP counts for the IRB.
There are several types of courses on CITI. Initial or Refresher Human Subject Protection Training is required for any study personnel on an IRB protocol. Other courses on the UK CITI Subscription will not count as meeting the IRB training mandate.
- Optional Course for Classroom Assignments.
“Students in Research” is an abbreviated course available under the Optional Courses menu on UK’s CITI Subscription. It provides an introduction to human research protections and describes what students can expect when asked to participate as a research subject. This course DOES NOT meet the IRB training mandate for any type of research submitted to the IRB. Faculty may use the course as a classroom assignment although it will not qualify a student to serve as study personnel for any research reviewed by the UK IRB.