Martha L. Peterson, Ph.D.
- Senior Associate Vice President for Research
Professor, Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics, College of Medicine
Dr. Peterson is a professor in the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics and is also a member of the Markey Cancer Center. Dr. Peterson studies gene expression regulation and is using tissue culture cell lines, as well as mouse models, to learn more about gene regulation during liver development and disease. She spent two years as a Program Director in the Division of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences at the National Science Foundation.
She became Associate Vice President for Research in 2007. Within the Office of the Vice President for Research, Dr. Peterson:
- Manages the VPR internal grants programs
- Oversees the Limited Submission process
- Serves as faculty representative for the Federal Demonstration Partnership
- Facilitates the work of the Office of Research Communications
- Facilitates the work of the Proposal Development Office
- Advises the VPR on policy and program offerings