Non UK or Community Based Study Personnel FAQs
1. What if study personnel on my University of Kentucky (UK) IRB protocol are not affiliated with UK?
- The IRB does not mandate the type of HSP training for individuals who are NOT UK employees or students, therefore there are several options to meet the training mandate.
- If external study personnel has completed human subject protection training at another institution, simply submit documentation to Jennifer Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Research Ethics Online Training course produced by the World Health Organization (WHO) is free and available to the public. Upon completing the course, send a copy of the certificate for the NON-UK personnel to Jennifer Hill at email@example.com; 859-257-2978
- The Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP) online Ethics and Human Subject Protection training without Contact Hours is available to the public at no cost. Upon completing the course, send a copy of the certificate for the NON-UK personnel to Jennifer Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org; 859-257-2978.
- Protecting Human Research Online Training: Human Subjects Research Online Training is available for all individual learners for $39.99. There is an additional fee of $25.00 for the CMEs if selected. Upon completing the course, send a copy of the certificate for the NON-UK personnel to Jennifer Hill at email@example.com; 859-257-2978.
- Options specific for Community Based Participatory Research (CBPR) are described in question 3 below.
2. If my study personnel are not affiliated with UK, but they have completed human subject training elsewhere,
will it count towards UK’s requirement?
- If non-UK study personnel have completed an equivalent HSP training outside of UK, please submit documentation to ORI for review to confirm equivalency. Submit documentation of HSP training completion to the Office of Research Integrity (ORI); Attn: Belinda Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jennifer Hill at email@example.com or by FAX to 859-323-9882.
3. Are there other HSP training options specific for individuals involved in community-engaged and community-
based participatory research (CBPR)?
- Traditional Human Subjects Protection training may not be appropriate for the study personnel who are laypersons in the community. There are a number of national programs available designed to educate nonscientific/nonprofessional community-based individuals. Alternate education may apply to those individuals who are laypersons, not students or researchers. Any alternative training plan must be submitted to ORI for review. For details, see the Study Personnel section of the Community-Engaged and Community-Based Participatory Research Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]. Contact Belinda Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org / 859-323-2446.