Markey Women Strong Call for Applications: due March 24
Markey Women Strong is a philanthropic initiative of the Markey Cancer Foundation composed mostly of women from the community, who are interested in making a meaningful difference in cancer research by funding female researchers focused on cutting-edge cancer research at the Markey Cancer Center. The committee members each contribute a $1,000 donation annually to The Markey Cancer Foundation to fund the program. The collective pledges from the members fund two Markey Women Strong Distinguished Researcher awards of $50,000 each.
The funding period for this award is one year. The Markey Cancer Center Director can grant a one-year extension at his discretion, but after that time, any remaining funds will be returned to the Markey Cancer Foundation. Applications to this funding opportunity should include the following material assembled into a single PDF file.
- Title page. Include your name, degree(s), academic rank, department, and college.
- Lay abstract. Limit 30 lines. The abstract should be sufficient to inform Markey Women Strong committee members about the research conducted by the applicant. Please remember that the Markey Women Strong committee is composed of community members / laypeople. Please use language to describe your research that the public would be able to comprehend. This will greatly increase your chances of success with this application.
- Brief description of your current research priorities and impact. Limit one page.
- A detailed, justified budget for one year of proposed work. F&A is not allowed, and faculty effort must be included.
- Short biography. In 250 words or less, summarize your experience and positions, honors and/or awards.
- A current NIH biosketch.
Additional eligibility requirement
- Applicants must be female researchers who are University of Kentucky faculty. Any type of cancer research is eligible.
- Applicants must be available to attend a virtual Meet the Researchers event on April 19, 2022, 6 pm to 7 pm as well as a reception on May 09, 2022, TBD. The Meet the Researchers event will allow you to present your research to the members and for them to be able to ask questions. The reception will provide the opportunity to honor the awardees and meet members of the Markey Women Strong committee and key Markey Cancer Center leadership.
- Applicants must not have been a Markey Women Strong Awardee in the last five years.
- Awardees will be required to submit a one-year progress report on their research activities and may be asked to meet with Markey Women Strong representatives to discuss their work and progress on initiatives that were funded by their Distinguished Researcher award.
Email your application to Jennifer Bybee (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 24, 2022