Research by the Numbers
University of Kentucky research that is supported by extramural grants and contracts is growing. Here are some of the numbers that tell the story of our trajectory.
- Fiscal Year 2016 awards increased by 11 percent compared to FY 2015. Final FY 2016 awards total more than $316.5 million.
- In the past three years (FY 2014 to FY 2016), all external grants and contracts to UK increased by 22 percent, and federal grants and contracts increased by 7.2 percent.
- Since 2011, total awards increased by 17.6 percent from $269.1 million to $316.5 million.*
- Since 2011, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has awarded the University of Kentucky more than $543.9 million in grants and contracts.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) funding increased 53.1 percent between FY 2011 and FY 2015.
- Department of Energy (DOE) funding increased by 96.5 percent between FY 2011 and FY 2016.
*Totals exclude one-time ARRA stimulus funds.
Data Source: University of Kentucky, OSPA Database Compiled by: University of Kentucky Office of the Vice President for Research